Question about Daiei closure

Kirsten Cather kcather
Thu Mar 13 08:30:57 EDT 2008

According to sources I've seen, Daiei and Nikkatsu established
the joint production and distribution company Dainichi
in April 1970, but the venture failed before the year was out and Daiei
declared bankruptcy in December 1971. I don't have any
specifics on the final films Daiei produced, but according to Roland
Domenig's
article, "Vital flesh: the mysterious world of Pink Eiga" (2002;
available
online), Daiei churned out a series of cheap ero-guro films as
a last-ditch measure to no avail. Nikkatsu, on the other hand, started
up its lucrative roman poruno line in January 1972 that saved
the company from the same fate.

Kirsten

Kirsten Cather
Assistant Professor, Department of Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin