"Yasukuni"'s inciting incident

Jason Gray loaded_films at yahoo.co.jp
Wed May 7 00:53:22 EDT 2008

One issue that hasn't come up in the mainstream media
(Japanese or English) is the veracity of the event that
inspired Li to make his documentary in the first place,
which he has cited in several interviews (the McNeill
article for example
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Japan/JD09Dh01.html).

Li states a symposium to mark the 60th anniversary of
Nanjing was held at Tokyo's Kudan Kaikan (a venue near to
and associated with Yasukuni) in 1997, and the reaction of
those in attendance inspired him to make his film. Did it
happen, or not?

On my blog, in an entry about Nippon Connection where the
film screened as well, there are some interesting comments
about this point from "Aceface," a very knowledgeable
figure in the blogosphere who works at NHK.

http://jasongray.blogspot.com/2008/04/nippon-connection-ga-kakkoii.html

The Gorecki montage lulled me to sleep. Nice music.

jg