Subtitles and noir...and shameless self-promotion

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Mon May 12 13:34:07 EDT 2008

One question that came to mind reading that article on subtitling is
how this might relate to the use of telop in contemporary TV. I for
one can't quite accept the statement that "many young viewers are
finding this speed to be too daunting for their reading
comprehension" when contemporary TV variety shows feature such a
large number words on screen. Some like Kibun wa jojo (an Utchan
Nanchan show from a couple years back) presented every single word
spoken by all the characters plus additional commentary by some
external narrator. It was an awful lot to read and it went by at the
speed people talked. If anything, one would think today's youth are
MORE adept at quickly reading words on the screen. So could the
problem really be the lack of knowledge? Or could we say that perhaps
viewers of TV never actually read the telop, or at least not for
comprehension? Or are youth, now used to telop, expecting subtitles
that just repeat the dialogue, not translate it?

Lots of questions, but I remain a bit suspicious about how this
"trend" is being described.

Aaron Gerow
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363