Musical films

Lorenzo Javier Torres Hortelano ljth2006 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:10:25 EST 2008

Hi Roger,

No, it¡¯s the fate of the musical: nobody seems to be interested, although
such interesting directors as Kitano (as you point) or  Lars von Trier in
Europe, make very interesting things with its conventions.

As you remark very opportunely, the question focuses in 'couple dancing',
not in the musical as a genre. It has a strong reason: it is in this kind of
dance where the symbolic sexual difference can be stablished (it is more
difficult with the ensemble dancing).

In fact, the dissertation aim was to prove how couple dancing in Hollywood
(with ¡°Top hat¡± as mythical instance)  worked as a corpus where
generations learned how to symbolize the sexual intercourse and the sexual
difference, crystallized in the dancing posture that could be refered to as
¡°sharp fall¡± (¡°ca¨ªda sostenida¡± in Spanish). The disertation goes from
Classical Hollywood era to contemporary cinema, that is to say, from a well
stablished ¡°sharp fall¡± (like in ¡°Top Hat¡±) to, for example,
¡°Chicago¡±, where the male dissapears, and so, the sexual difference
dissapears and, consecuently, the pedagogical function too.

Bollywood would be the oriental tradition where you can see both kind of
dancing (couple and ensemble or group), and without the necessity of count
on Western music ¨Cand without self-orientalism...

Good entry on last Aaron¡¯s book. In that sense it is interesting to mark
too how the two sisters, O-Kinu (Yuko Daike) and O-Sei (Daigoro Tachibana)
use their dancing precisely to make appear the sexual desire¡­

I couldn¡¯t see ¡°Sakuran¡± yet, but looks interesting in this way.

Thanks for all your interesting commentations!

Lorenzo.