Ogata Ken

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Mon Oct 6 17:37:16 EDT 2008

I was sad to see the news on the Mainichi site that the actor Ogata
Ken died on the 6th at the age of 71. The cause of death has not been
released, but he apparently attended a press conference for a new TV
series on the 30th and only recently fell ill.

Ogata was one of the most impressive actors from the 1970s on,
something that may have come from the fact that he started out in
Shinkokugeki (the same acting troupe that gave birth to Okochi
Denjiro, one of my other favorite actors). Ogata made his film debut
in 1960, but did not really make an impact until the 1970s with
Imamura Shohei films like Vengeance Is Mine and Narayama Bushiko. He
was firmly established as one of the top film actors, appearing in
controversial films like Schrader's Mishima (as Mishima), big budget
spectaculars like Oroshiyakoku suimudan, and even action flicks like
Gonin 2. His physical presence and original character (shown off most
when he wore sunglasses) made an impression in anything he appeared
in. Both his eldest son, Kenta, and his second son, Naoto, are actors.

He was too young. There were a lot of good films left in him.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363