H-JAPAN (E): representations of blacknesS, Japanese & Korean Cinema

Robyn Citizen rc1434 at nyu.edu
Sun Aug 30 13:11:57 EDT 2009

Indeed, I saw the trailer for this movie at the NYAFF and I was somewhat appalled by it. Is there a conflation between ganguro culture - which I always thought was about mimicking the tanned blond white women of LA - and actual blackface or hip hop/black culture appreciation (appropriation?) among some Japanese youth?

Robyn Citizen
PhD Candidate
Cinema Studies
New York University
alternate e-mail: ladykaede1221 at gmail.com

"I'm giving her all she's got Captain!" - Scotty, Star Trek 2009