Question: issues for visually-impaired people to enjoy films in theatre

Shinya Nomura nomushin at t02.itscom.net
Fri Aug 7 12:21:20 EDT 2009

Dear Kine-Japaners,

I am student of graduate school of System Design and Management (SDM) in
Keio University, Japan. I am researching for visually-impaired people to go
to theatre and enjoy screened films with voice guidance. Example activities
in Japan are as follows;

1.     City Lights

$B!H(BCity Lights$B!I(B is major volunteer group which supports visually-impaired
people to enjoy films. They organize $B4U>^2q(B so often with various venues
like Iwanami Hall in Jimbo-cho, Theatre Times Square in Shinjuku (though it
will be closed this month$B!D(B), Cinema Complex United Cinema Toshima-en etc.
Recent instances are $B!H(BDear Doctor$B!I(B in Shinjuku Musashino-Kan and
$B!H(BTsurugi-Dake Ten no ki$B!I(B in Shibuya TOEI.

- City Lights http://www.ne.jp/asahi/city/lights/index.html

2.     Yokohama Live Cinema

Cinema Jack & Betty in Kogane-cho, Yokohama specifies 1st Sunday in every
month as voice guidance screening day which is also known as $B!H(BYokohama Live
Cinema$B!I(B. Spanish masterpiece $B!H(BSpirits of Beehive$B!I(B (EL ESPIRITU DE LA
COLMENA) and British documentary $B!H(BMan on Wire$B!I(B were screened in July.
Iranian film $B!H(BBuddha collapsed out of Shame$B!I(B was screened last week. (For
your reference, Hungarian $B!H(BJinsei ni kanpai!$B!I(B (KONYEC) will be screened on
6th Sep.)

- Cinema Jack & Betty http://www.jackandbetty.net/bariafuri.html

- Yokohama Live Cinema http://ameblo.jp/yokohama-live-cinema/

Both in City Lights and Yokohama Live Cinema, volunteers provide voice
guidance as live which describes screened information like scene, lighting,
face etc. not to disturb original sounds and dialogues while screening.

My questions are as follows;

- Are there any regulations for this type of issues in your country and/or
local community?

- Do you know any groups and/or film theaters provide similar services in
your country?

Even if you do not in detail, contact information (name, address, URL etc.)
would also be greatly helpful.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Best regards,

Shinya Nomura