shutai vs. shutaisei ?

Mathieu Capel mathieucapel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 12:52:52 EST 2009

Indeed, dear Yuri,
You're perfectly right, Hanada appears in Zen'ei kiroku eigaron, what I had
forgotten or omitted... Maybe was I influenced by some impression of mine I
got the first time I saw Bara no sôretsu : when Eddie goes down to the art
gallery,we can hear a pre-recorded voice, talking about masks and so on. At
first, I thought it was Hanada's "Kamen no hyôjô" being read, although
Matsumoto claims to be the author of this text. But both are so close to
each other ! I then got to think that there was something unclear between
Hanada and Matsumoto. Of course that feeling increased reading Eizô no
hakken...
But back to 1958 and then, Hanada was indeed a controversial figure : I wish
I could learn more about the Yoshimoto/Hanada argument (unfortunately
Komura's "Mahiru no kettô" book seems to be OOP) for instance... But after
being so influential during the mid 40's-50's, did not the very same people
who adored him first turned their back on him, as he seemed to regard all
the new wave stuff with a sometimes contemptuous look (except for Oshima)...
By the way was it possible to worship both Yoshimoto and Hanada at the same
time ? It is something I really feel ashamed not to have more informations
about...

Mathieu