Highest Grossing Japanese Films

Oliver Dew olidew at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 14:50:13 EST 2009

Hi Rob,

This may not be want you're trying to do, but it might be easier to
look at the revenues in given distribution territories. For the UK for
instance, the EDI Nielsen statistics that the BFI library subscribes
to give box office revenue on a title-by-title basis. Or if you wanted
similar information for all of Europe the Lumiere admissions database
is not a bad place to start, although it's a lot less complete than
Nielsen:

http://lumiere.obs.coe.int/web/search/

I have never been able to find equivalent title-by-title data for
other release platforms such as DVD though, which would be really
important if you wanted to establish exactly what audiences are buying
empirically.

If you look at revenues though, you're more likely to find a foreign
predilection for Pokemon and Miyazaki Hayao than for J Horror. So it
becomes a question of whose definition of "Japanese film" you use.

Oliver Dew

PhD candidate
Birkbeck College
London