Aaron and Takamine Go in Sheffield, England, March 6

MIKA KO mika39mika at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Feb 16 06:26:00 EST 2009

Dear Kinejapan list members

As a part of the international workshop "Interrogating Okinawa: Memories,
Meanings and Images", the National Institute of Japanese Studies and the
University of Sheffield are hosting an exciting event of film screening and
public lectures on March 6 in Showroom Cinema in Sheffield. The film to be
shown is Takamine Go's Untamatgiru (1989) and Takamine will be present there
for Q and A. We are also very lucky to have Aaron as a speaker for this
event. After Aaron's talk, the screening and Q & A with the director, there
will also be an annual distinguished lecture for the National Institutes of
Japanese Studies by Sabine  Fruehstueck.
Below is the detailed program of the event. All events on March 6 are open
to public and registration is NOT required. I hope that some of you who
live in England could join us for this fascinating event!

For any inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact either me (Mika Ko:
M.ko at sheffield.ac.uk) or Kylie Wheeler (Administrative Officer, White Rose
East Asia Centre, University of Sheffield : k.wheeler at sheffield.ac.uk).

The program is also available at:

http://www.wreac.org/events/all-events/details/19-okinawa-film-show-and-distinguished-lecture.html

Best wishes,
Mika Ko
School of East-Asian Studies
University of Sheffield

Interrogating Okinawa: Memories, Meanings and Images
Public Event

March 6: (Open to public)

  Venue: Cinema 2 - Showroom Cinema, Sheffield (http://www.showroom.org.uk)

  12.30 -13.00

  Public Lecture : "Projecting the Nation : The   Representation of Okinawa in  Japanese  Film"
  Speaker: Aaron Gerow, Yale University

  13.15-15.15
 Screening of Untamagiru (1989 120mins with English subtitle)

 15.15-15.45
 Q and A with the Director, Takamine Go

     16.15- 17.45

  NIJS Annual Distinguished Lecture : "Is Japan A Post-Heroic Nation ? -   From Okinawa to Iraq"
 Speaker: Sabine Fruhstuck, University of  California , Santa    Barbara
  Discussants : Naoko Shimazu,Birkbeck College
  Patrick Beillevaire, French National Centre for Scientific Research  and the             Japan Research Centre at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales in    Paris

 17.55-18.50
 Okinawan music recital with Mintato Chihiro's photograph slide show
 Singer: Murayoshi Akane
 Sanshin Player: Kohama Tsukasa

 18:50: Closing remarks