Rare occupation-era Korean films screened in NYC

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 20:00:10 EST 2009

Thank you, William,

>>From the programme :-
Angels on the Street. 1941. Korea. Directed by Choi In-Kyu. With Kim Il-Hae, Moon Yae-Bong, Kim Shin-Jae. A child sold into virtual slavery escapes, prompting a man who witnessed the child's torment to start a welfare business for orphans. In Korean; English subtitles. 73 min.

Now would this have been started whilst Shimizu was still in Korea (making his Keijō and Tomodachi), or just afterwards?  This film is on JMDb, Ie naki tenshi with a Japanese script-writer, NISHIKI Motosada, 西亀元貞, whose next script credit is alongside KUROSAWA Akira.

And the first one listed is "A backstage romance set within Korea's film and recording industries.", so it's a partial answer to another recent question.

I hope these films get shown elsewhere, as indeed I hope for the recent Japanese seasons in New York to get exhibitions elsewhere.
Roger