Proposal: Kinema Club "Reception"

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Fri May 15 22:25:11 EDT 2009

By now everyone has seen the fruits of the chaos from the last few
days. Looks like it will be a great time, even though (because?) it's
been scaled back. Just to recap:

Friday 1-4: Films at the NFC
Saturday 10-5: Panels at Josai
Sunday evening: (probably) Gerow interview with Kurosawa & Aoyama,
followed by USC Reception

I have a proposal. Since USC is hosting a reception on Sunday, why
doesn't Kinema Club host a "reception" after the Friday films?

Now, I hope everyone is going to the films. The line-up is really
fantastic. You can come for part of it if you're not up for the whole
thing. But with no other events, it seems like we should do something
afterwards.

Of course, since Kinema Club has no bank account, dues, endowment,
nado nado, we have to think on our feet. I propose we invite everyone
at the Film Center to move somewhere after the films for a little
frivolity and froth. Two possibilities come to mind:

Lion Beer Hall in Ginza:

http://r.gnavi.co.jp/g131800/

If you haven't been there, it's what's left of a 1932 German Beer hall
that the occupation actually used as an officer's club back in the
day. First time visitors to Tokyo might enjoy the flavor of the prewar
modernity.

Or else we could go to a building-top beer garden. There really aren't
any other large places around are there?

Spread out in the yakitori-ya around Yurakucho under the tracks?

Anyone else up for this? If we decide something, then we can broadcast
it to the list Aaron is compiling.

Markus