JF Waste?

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 5 06:50:58 EST 2009

Can I just also add one small point of interest here. I work quite closely with the JF UK in London on their annual touring programme, and as has been correctly pointed out, one doesn't have access to the lists of their holdings, but if you ask for specific titles or directors, they will tell you, which is how I managed to get Shindo Kaneto's little-seen Live Today, Die Tomorrow shown across the UK last year - which I should add, as so few people actually went to see both this and Kumai Kei's A Chain of Islands, is the last time the JF UK are going to include older titles as part of their tour. Anyway, I digress. The fact is, there are some really interesting older films there which aren't available on subbed DVD and are not particularly known to overseas audiences, but they are only on 16mm, a format most venues in the UK no longer handle, so sadly the bulk of their holdings will never be seen - though from what Aaron writes, I assume they are still being paid for by the Japanese tax payer.
I don't think the Japan Foundation have any prints of actual pink films, but they do have some Roman Porno films by Nikkatsu's more respected directors such as  Kumashiro Tatsumi and Tanaka Noboru - I'll hold up my hand here to the Asahi Shinbun's accusations, as I had a hand in a fairly prominent season at the BFI last December which made use of the Japan Foundation's prints, although actually only a couple came from them. I would add as a rebuff to the journalist in question that considerably more people went to see Wife to Be Sacrificed at the BFI than the Haneda Sumiko documentaries that played at the same venue 6 months earlier.
I'm not sure of the political or class-related allegiances of the various newspapers in Japan, but this article reminds me of the type of thing we get in the more idiotic conservative press in the UK, I mean of course the Daily Mail, who had a go at the BFI earlier this year for their DVD release of a collection of British sex education films from the past century, entitled Joy of Sex Education.

Jasper Sharp

Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

More details about me on http://jaspersharp.com/