Oshima's '100 Years of Japanese Cinema'

kyoshiron at aol.com kyoshiron at aol.com
Fri Oct 30 07:41:27 EDT 2009

Since it had a similar BFI pedigree to the Martin Scorcese dissertation on Italian film, I had much anticipation, years even, about this film.  Having seen it fairly recently I was quite dissapointed. I fully agree with comments about selection, effectiveness and length of the clips. Part of this may lie in the studios'  (Toho in particular) reluctance to sanction clips.

I say this knowing that we do not necessarily need to see, yet again, for instance, the climax of KUMOSUDOJO and that Oshima during his young turk days was dismissive of the directors whose work was embraced by the West, Kurosawa in particular.

FT Shimizu