Yamagata?

Anne McKnight mcknight at usc.edu
Mon Oct 26 14:47:04 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone wanted to share any overview of the highlights of
Yamagata this year. I was very interested to see that the competition-
winning film was a québecois film about neo-liberalism, Encirclement.

Was it reminiscent of Stephanie Black's Life and Debt (in the sense of
taking a potentially turgid subject and making it very accessible in
inventive ways)? How did it jibe with/as the follow-up of other
related films Yamagata has screened, like Tsuchiya's Peep 'TV' Show?
http://www.yidff.jp/2009/ic/09ic05-e.html

I wondered how that went over, I and if there were other items in the
landscape that grabbed you...

Thanks for any impressions, stray, systematic or otherwise.

Anne