Jujiro on DVD

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 13 09:09:32 EDT 2009

This is great news Aaron. I am interested though about the question of intertitles in the film. Jujiro was considered lost for a long time in Japan, until it was discovered in the British Film Institute in London, from what I understand. This was from the same print that Kinugasa took across to Europe after just making it. When this screened at the National Film Center in Tokyo about 5 years ago, there were English language intertitles and no Japanese written at all - one of those rare moments when I could let out a smug "hah!" and enjoy the film while everyone else sat seething in disappointment.
So yes, I am also intrigued where the print came from.

Jasper Sharp

Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

More details about me on http://jaspersharp.com/