Japanese Women Directors Focus at Rainda

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 2 04:38:35 EDT 2009

Dear Kinejapaners,

I just wanted to announce the lineup has been announced for this year's Raindance film festival, which will be taking place 30 September – 11 October 2009 in the Apollo, Regent's Street, London, a new venue for the festival this year.

Raindance independent film festival in Britain, and since I've been involved, the biggest annual showcase for new Japanese cinema too.

This year we've got the World Premiere of KAKERA, the debut feature of Momoko Ando, who will be in attendance - this is the daughter of the actor/director Eiji Okuda and sister of actress Sakura Ando. The press notes describe Momoko as "the Japanese Sofia Coppola", though I personally wouldn't be so unkind.

Schedule conflicts meant that sadly we couldn't bring Sakura Ando over too, as two films with her in are playing the festival, Shion Sono's Love Exposure and Yuki Tanada's Ain't No Tomorrows.

The main focus of this year's Japanese section is women directors, and we do actually have another guest in the form of the legendary Sachi Hamano, who will be presenting her 2001 comedy drama Lily Festival, about the sexual passions of a group of elderly women. We will also be screening the 2009 re-edit of Naomi Kawase's Hotaru.

There's too much good stuff playing at the festival for me to go into here, but there's at least a dozen recent Japanese films playing for the first time ever in the UK.

I've posted fuller details of it all on my website here: http://jaspersharp.com/

By the way, assuming there are people on the list here who might be interested in non-Japanese cinema, I'd like to add my voice to those championing the British camcorder zombie movie COLIN, made on a budget of £45, which apparently paid some the sandwiches and a crowbar, and was shot in my current stamping ground of Tooting.

Hope to see some of you there,

Jasper Sharp

Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

More details about me on http://jaspersharp.com/