Calligraphy

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Fri Apr 30 10:56:27 EDT 2010

As a matter of fact, I was going to ask the same question because I am
starting a new writing project on this very topic. My starting point
was originally Eisenstein and Astruc, but I am fascinated first and
foremost with the seeming affiliation of this vibrant styling of
script and the moving image. Two beautiful arts simply made for each
other.

My first stab at presenting it will be this July at Kinema Club X.
This summer, a graduate student and I are putting together a corpus.
But here are a few I like:

Red Cliff has some nice play with radicals (but not translated well----
a moment crying for abusive subs) and with rain drops bleeding
characters for peace as the main female character cries.

Yukoku's calligraphy is by Mishima, including the English intertitles
complete with smudged mistakes.

Akitsu onsen's title calligraphy is the most equisite I've seen on
film. The most funky: Kao, which also has a great end title(I heard
the calligraphy was by Teshigawara).

City of Sadness has intertitles calligraphy, and a wrenching scene
with a calligraphic message a prisoner  to his wife, brushed in blood
before his execution.

Calligraphic spells slapped on foreheads that stop hopping vampires
cold, in Mr.  Vampire and other crazy Homg Kong horror comedies.

Ugetsu is another film with calligraphy on skin. Why think Greenaway
when you have Mizoguchi? But the best and cutest: Gewaltopia.

Silent film intertitles were often calligraphy. So were early subs in
Japan, and the current fonts mimic those styles.

And a couple that might not count:

Tagging in Samurai Champloo 18.

I have heard of 1950s Chinese opera films where letters are actually
blank---an extreme example of form over content if there ever was one.

And then there are calligraphs using other media and methods of
inscription, such as the sutra carved into the dock at the end of
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...Spring.

Once you consider the importance of calligraphy in East Asian cinema,
you realize it is ubiquitous. I look forward to seeing what they do
with this.

Markus

(Sent from my iPod, so please excuse the brevity and mistakes.)