East Asian Language Search & Display Survey

Nakamura, Haruko haruko.nakamura at yale.edu
Tue Apr 6 12:02:21 EDT 2010

This message is being widely cross-posted.

Dear all,

With a special grant for language/script support provided by the Arcadia Foundation, U.K., the Yale University Library has started exploring how to provide better discovery and access to our Non-Latin script materials through Yale's experimental "next generation online catalog: Yufind (http://yufind.library.yale.edu/yufind/)."

As part of the project, we are conducting a survey on the search and display requirements in library databases for East Asian language materials. The purpose of this survey is to better understand how Chinese, Japanese and Korean scripts should be displayed and searched in library online catalogs and databases at North American libraries (not only "Yufind"). Your participation in this survey will help us identify the major issues, set priority and develop ideas towards solutions.

To participate in the survey, please visit the Survey Monkey website: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/yufindCJKsurvey

Your answers are very important to us in planning for a project to enhance multilingual / multi-script database capabilities to serve the East Asian studies community in the near future. We estimate it should take no more than 10 minutes to complete the survey. It is anonymous, so only the response data and textual comments will be retained for analysis.

The survey announcement would be broadly cross-posted. Yet, please feel free to forward this invitation to your library colleagues (not only in East Asia library but also any public services, technical services and system, etc. staff to use CJK records), East Asia Studies faculty, students and colleagues who use our OPACs in the respective countries.

The deadline of this survey is Tuesday, April 20th. If you have questions, please contact Keiko Suzuki (keiko.suzuki at yale.edu).

Thank you for your time and cooperation in advance.

- Keiko

Ms. Keiko SUZUKI
Japanese Catalog Librarian, East Asia Library
Sterling Memorial Library
P.O.Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240
Tel.: 203-432-2778 / Fax: 203-432-7231