CFP: 2010 Association of Japanese Literary Studies

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Sat Apr 3 09:15:01 EDT 2010

Technology and Japanese Literary, Film and Performance Studies

The theme of the 2010 Association of Japanese Literary Studies (AJLS)
to be convened at Yale University from October 15-17, 2010,
will be $B!H(Btechnology,$B!I(B defined broadly to include the
Japanese premodern as well as the global contemporary, the virtual as
well as the material, the screen and the stage as well as the page or
scroll.  We mean to be at least as far-ranging as the semantics of
ancient Greek techne or modern Japanese gijutsu or tekunorojii allow.
There is the much-discussed advent of print culture, but there is also
orthography (the invention of kana), calligraphy (brush as tool), the
architecture of performance space (puppets and anthropocentrism), the
reproduced image (photography versus the word, cinematic narration,
television and its audiences), the cell phone (keitai shosetsu), the
internet, the imagination of science fiction and the engineering of
the digital hypertext.  Technology can entail the institutional as
well as the mechanical, the discipline of the acting body as well as
social customs of reading (communal, silent), Edo-period lending
libraries on carts as well as 21st-century databases in cyberspace.

We encourage papers from film, television, media and performance
studies colleagues in addition to those in literature.  We hope that
some submissions will speculate on the future and not only document
the past or present.   There are politics related to different phases
in technology which need to be distilled and named, implicit
ideologies which need to be denaturalized and critiqued.  What happens
when the analytical triumvirate of $B!H(Brace, class and
gender$B!I(B is mapped against the history of technological
innovation?  Or, in another example, when visual literacy is
challenged by technologies that privilege the aural/oral? We look
forward to hosting a conference that will qualify and contest the
boundaries of what are considered the respective realms of the
cultural and the technical in Japan through time.

Proposals may come either from individuals or from panels of as many
as four speakers.  Graduate students are especially welcome.
Presentations may be delivered in either English or Japanese.  Queries
and proposals should be submitted electronically to 2010ajls at gmail.com
no later than June 1, 2010.