Lumiere Brothers Japan Footage

Quentin Turnour Quentin.Turnour at nfsa.gov.au
Mon Aug 30 19:08:20 EDT 2010

Sorry to party-poop, but just to warn those interested in this material
that Lumiere Brother's footage even from the 1890s is not necessarily PD.

For a whole range of reasons (moral rights laws in various countries, etc,
the version you use might be a restoration of recent years, etc etc) you
may need to discuss public screenings with Association Frères Lumière, a
trust which is manged through the CNC archive in France. This link has
some legal background, in English: portal.unesco.org/...Lumiere
%2BFilms.../France_Lumiere%2BFilms_EN.doc

Quentin Turnour, Programmer,
Access, Research and Development
National Film and Sound Archive, Australia
McCoy Circuit, Acton,
ACT, 2601 AUSTRALIA
phone: +61 2 6248 2054  |  fax: + 61 2 6249 8159
www.nfsa.gov.au

The National Film and Sound Archive collects, preserves and provides
access to Australia's historic and contemporary moving image and recorded
sound culture.

Ryan Mitchell <ryanrobertmitchell at gmail.com>
Sent by: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
31/08/2010 04:40 AM
Please respond to
KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu

KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
cc
"Jonathan M. Hall" <jmhall at pomona.edu>
Subject
Re: Lumiere Brothers Japan Footage

Hi there,

There was a gray-market 4 DVD set that was made from, I believe, a TV2
France broadcast of "Les films Lumière" in the mid-90s. There was also a
Japanese laserdisc made from the same source (which may have also been
broadcast of Japanese television). Both disc versions include French and
Japanese subtitles and narration.

Just a quick scan of the menus show the following Japanese films (the
number in brackets is the catalog number):

Acteurs Japonais : Exercice de la perruque [977]
Japonaise faisant sa toilette [1027]
Danse Japonaise III. Gueichas en Jinrikicha [1023]
Escrime au sabre japonaise [926]

If you know the name of any other specific titles you are looking for I
can check the menus to see if the film is included.

... there are *cough cough* other ways of procuring the 4 DVD set. Please
contact me off-list.

R.