Question of tense usage

Bruce Baird baird at asianlan.umass.edu
Fri Aug 27 13:14:48 EDT 2010

Colleagues,

Apologies for cross posting, and please pardon a question that is
slightly afield of Japanese Cinema.

In my manuscript about butoh, I want to write about a 1972 dance
which is preserved on film strip by Ouchida Keiya (who is now
deceased and therefore not interviewable).  There are indications
that the film-strip is not an accurate portrayal of what the audience
would have seen in the actual performance.  For example, the sound
continues across cuts and there are a couple of places where the
sounds of stamping do not match the dancers' feet stamping.  There
are no coughs or people clearing their throats.  Thus it seems like
the sound must have been added as a part of post-production.
Colleagues in Japan tell me that given the limitations of recording
in Japan, it would have been very unlikely that in 1972 they could
have recorded the live performance and added the recording to the
edited video, and made it match up as well as it did (not
withstanding the few stamping misses--most of the stamping matches
nicely), and that it is thus likely that they had to have sound
professionals come in and re-record the sound.

I would normally describe the dance in past tense, but I feel that I
should be specific about that fact that I am really describing a film
strip (which may not be the same thing as the dance was).  Obviously
the editing of the film strip and the recording of the sound track
also happened in the past, but somehow I have the sense that since I
am really talking about a recording of the dance rather than the
dance itself, I should use the present tense.

So two questions.  In 1972 or early 1973, given the technology extant
in Japan at the time, does anyone have a second opinion about the
likelihood that Ouchida or any sound professional could have used an
hour long live recording, edited out coughs and throat clearing, and
matched it to edited dance footage with only two (or three) obvious
glitches where the sound of stamping feet wouldn't match the visual
stamping feet?

Two: Suggestions for what tense to use when writing about a filmic
image rather than the event itself technically?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Bruce Baird
Assistant Professor
Asian Languages and Literatures
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Butô, Japanese Theater, Intellectual History

717 Herter Hall
161 Presidents Drive
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003-9312