CFP: Japanese Film Symposium at Leeds Film Festival

Julian Ross julianross at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Aug 8 09:30:07 EDT 2010

Call for Papers:

Symposium: ‘Breaking Boundaries:
Alternative Approaches to Japanese Film’

Date: November 5th,
2010

Venue: Leeds University

Keynote Speaker: Tony Rayns (film
critic and programmer of East Asian cinema)

Screening: ‘Children of the
Beehive’ (Shimizu, 1948) (tbc) courtesy of Zipangu Fest (http://www.zipangufest.com) and Kawakita Memorial Institute.

The event has been coordinated as
part of the 24th Leeds International Film Festival (4-21 Nov 2010).
For more information on the film festival, please visit www.leedsfilm.com.

Please note that selected papers
will be considered for publication in a special issue of Journal of Japanese and Korean Cinema, edited by David Desser and
published by Intellect. For more information on the journal, please visit: http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Journal,id=157/

No other region is expected to have a
more profound impact on the future global system and society than East Asia,
and accordingly, understanding the culture and arts of the countries in this
region is becoming increasingly vital to the work of academics. Japanese cinema,
in particular, has recently experienced a resurgence of interest within and
beyond academic confines. In the UK, recent major retrospectives of directors
such as Nagisa Oshima, Yasujiro Ozu and Akira Kurosawa organized by the British
Film Institute, among many other events across the country, have contributed to
an increased awareness of this burgeoning subject area. The number of Hollywood
remakes of Japanese texts and films and the recent trend of Western directors
travelling to Tokyo to shoot their films are also indicative of an interest
which cuts across theory and practice. It seems particularly timely to
discuss the ways in which we can address Japanese cinema and its relevance to
world cinema, film studies and other disciplines.

‘Breaking Boundaries’ is an
inter-institutional project organized by postgraduate students at the
universities of Leeds, Sheffield and York through the Mixed Cinema Network project
(www.mixedcinemanetwork.org) and beyond. Our aim is to propose alternative
approaches to Japanese cinema, moving beyond East-West binary oppositions, thus
encouraging the exploration of new and exciting critical avenues.

Although all proposals will be
considered, we particularly welcome papers that explore the following themes we
have set up as panels:

·
Japanese
Cinema Within and Beyond the Nation

·
Interdisciplinarity
and Intertextuality in Japanese Cinema

·
Questions of
Gender in Japanese Film

·
Reception of
Japanese Films Home and Abroad

We welcome proposals from
researchers at any stage of their project, and we will accept proposals from
those within and beyond the academic field of film studies. Please send a
400-word abstract and 150-word biography to:

bbconf2010 at googlemail.com

The deadline for application is September 20th
2010. We look forward to hearing from you!