Captured Japanese Films, Redux

William Gardner wgardne1 at swarthmore.edu
Tue Feb 23 13:08:15 EST 2010

Hello everyone,

Markus' earlier question to the Library of Congress prompted me to contact reference librarian Zoren Sinobad to ask about whether there was any searchable database or other list of the films in this collection. The reply, which I am forwarding below with Mr. Sinobad's permission for those interested in the details, confirms the information also in Abé Mark Nornes and Aaron Gerow's Research Guide to Japanese Film Studies, that there is presently no comprehensive list or searchable database of Japanese films in the LOC.

Fortunately, however, Mr. Sinobad's self introduction posted to the list a moment ago informs us that he's currently involved in a project to produce a "comprehensive finding aid" for this collection. This is terrific news indeed!

Mr. Sinobad, thanks again for your reply, and your valuable work in making this collection more accessible.

Will Gardner
Swarthmore College