A comment and a question

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 09:17:12 EST 2010

Hello Jenna,

Great to have you on the list, and thanks for mentioning the Japan Foundation UK's season - I hope you are enjoying the films.

Just quickly, as I'm on holiday at the moment, but in reply to youre second question, there's a number of Japanese films that feature rapes and revenges (Koji Wakamatsu's films immediately spring to mind), but whether you can describe a distinct Japanese rape-revenge genre is something else. Western books on Western horror have always cited films like Last House on the Left and I Spit on Your Grave as belonging to the horror genre, which is fair enough, as this is how they were marketed at the time, and hence there were a number of releases from both US and Europe that followed the template, and a genre emerged. In Japan, such films that I can think of from around the same period mainly were made for the pink or Roman Porno marketsand I don't think we can describe them as horror films, although many histories of Japanese horror do seem to include them, whereas Japanese histories of Japanese horror wouldn't. The Angel Guts series, all either scripted or based on manga stories by Takashi Ishii, are the best examples of these, and also a number of films directed for Nikkatsu by Yasuharu Hasebe, with titles such as Rape, Raping, Assault etc. I detail all of these in my book Behind the Pink Curtain - some seem to at least bare an awareness to Western counterpoints (many of which would have been released in Japan), if not direct influences. One of the Hasebe ones (forgive me, the titles are all rather jumbled in my mind at the moment, but it was the road movie style one) was actually pretty good, but most fairly unpleasant. The Angel Guts films were released on DVD in the US by Artsmagic (with the exception of the final one, made outside of Nikkatsu), so easy to track down.

Hope this helps,

Jasper

Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

More details about me on http://jaspersharp.com/