still wanted: a still from "Crossroads"

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Mon Feb 15 08:06:49 EST 2010

> Following a suggestion made here, I did e-mail the Kawakita
> Institute about getting a still from Kinugasa's "Crossroads" for my
> book.  What they said, however--and this will be, I think, of
> interest to others here because of the issues it raises--is that the
> film is copyrighted by Shochiku (which is news to me), that they are
> very strict on copyrights and I need to go to them and get their
> permission first before they (Kawakita) can send anything to me.
> Considering that without any difficulty at all I will be able to get
> photos from great American silent classics like "The Big Parade" and
> "Ben-Hur" which really are in copyright, I find this response a bit
> bizarre.  It's my understanding that all Japanese silent films are
> as much in the public domain as all Chinese and Russian/Soviet
> silents.  And in any case, Shochiku never released "Crossroads" on
> VHS or DVD.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Markus and I note that the Kawakita
has become less cooperative in recent years in our Research Guide to
Japanese Film Studies. There are basically two problems: 1) companies
like Shochiku asserting rights that they may not have (remember that
Jujiro is now out on a cut-rate DVD without, presumably, Shochiku's
permission); and 2) institutions like Kawakita refusing to stand up
and speak out on behalf of scholars.

Still, I should note that the person at the desk at Kawakita also
initially balked when I asked for stills of Page of Madness for my
book. I insisted on talking to someone higher up, who ended up being
much more reasonable and agreed that the film was in the public domain
and that I could have the stills. I do wonder if you can't do the same
with Jujiro.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363