The Cove acquired by Medallion Media in Japan

Christine Marran marran at umn.edu
Thu Feb 11 08:19:03 EST 2010

http://www.indiewire.com/article/the_cove_finally_heads_to_japan/

The article is also pasted here:

The Works International has announce the acquisition of Louie Psihoyos?s
Academy Award-nominated documentary ?The Cove? by Japanese distributor
Medallion Media.  Medallion is planning a tentative release date of
April 2010 in Japan.

Until now, Japanese distributors have shied away from the documentary,
which uncovers dolphin slaughtering in a Japanese village, and was the
source of significant controversy in the country when it was included in
the line-up of the 2009 Tokyo Film Festival after initially being
rejected. Despite threats of legal action by fishermen from the town of
Taiji featured in the film, the festival scheduled another screening
after the first sold out within hours.

?Most Japanese are unaware of the annual dolphin cull that takes place
in Taiji and also the significant risks of mercury poisoning from the
eating of dolphin meat which the film so effectively exposes,? The Works
International said in their press release. ?In spite of continued
opposition from the Taiji fishermen, Medallion Media recognized there
were many people keen to see the film.?

?In distributing ?The Cove? we are not taking sides,?  Norio Okahara,
Director of Medallion Media said in a statement. ?Rather, we are
presenting the film for the Japanese to decide for themselves about the
issues it raises. There is a debate to be had here and this important
film - and the Academy Award nomination only serves to reinforce its
importance - offers the opportunity for such a debate.?

Joy Wong negotiated the deal with Media Co.?s Norio Okahara.

?Making ?The Cove? was personal for me because I was poisoned by mercury
from eating too much of the wrong kind of fish,? Louie Psihoyos said in
a statement.  ?I hope that ?The Cove? will prevent people in Japan from
getting mercury poisoning caused by eating toxic dolphin meat. When we
first went to Taiji, dolphin meat was being distributed in the school
systems for children?s lunches, which is troubling because mercury has
the most deleterious effects on small children. Most disturbing is that
much of the dolphin meat, as determined by DNA analysis, was being sold
as whale meat. A recent study done by Japanese scientists shows that the
residents of Taiji have 10 times the acceptable amount of mercury in
their systems. That makes it more then just an animal rights issue -
this is a human health concern. I believe in my heart that when the
Japanese people see this film, they will be inspired to help solve this
issue.?

--
Christine L. Marran
Associate Professor of Japanese Literature and Cultural Studies