Film Comment poll

Quentin Turnour Quentin.Turnour at nfsa.gov.au
Mon Jul 12 23:50:50 EDT 2010

Co-incidentally screening Japanese experimental cinema to English language
audiences came up as a topic when I was meeting a number of artist film
and video /experimental programmers on a recent trip to the UK.

Like me, they were programmers who knew something - or more - about
Japanese experimental cinema tradition and current practice and would be
more than keen to present Japanese work their programming. Most are
professionals who are sensitive to getting the screening technically and
aesthetically right and willing to pay what it costs (although not always
in a position to fund film-maker's trip to present the work, which is an
issue for some practitioners).

However I heard persistent frustration with the non-responsiviness of
approaches to distributors. I'm afraid Image Forum was a particular
target. Mutual language issues are acknowledge, as is the need to do the
leg work of getting to Japan regularly and building the contacts and some
of the mutual respect that a few members of this listserv have been able
to cultivate over the years. And there are a few great and beautiful
exceptions amongst Japanese distributors who are very keen to help.

But compared to Korea and Thailand (for example), where from experience
distributors and film-makers are often very keen to get their work out,
regular programming Japanese experimental cinema is much harder because of
what seems like a lack of enthusiasm at the other end. It's a familiar cry
from programmers not just in this sector, but from all of us wanting to
promote Japanese cinema: "If only they would answer their emails..!".

Quentin Turnour, Programmer,
Access, Research and Development
National Film and Sound Archive, Australia
McCoy Circuit, Acton,
ACT, 2601 AUSTRALIA
phone: +61 2 6248 2054  |  fax: + 61 2 6249 8159
www.nfsa.gov.au

The National Film and Sound Archive collects, preserves and provides
access to Australia's historic and contemporary moving image and recorded
sound culture.

Martin Vieillot <eigagogo at free.fr>
Sent by: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
09/07/2010 11:51 AM
Please respond to
KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu

KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
cc

Subject
Re: Film Comment poll

Thanks Markus for the info... pretty interesting list!

For those who doesn't know anything about asian avant-garde, would it be
possible to get few names from others interesting "non-english speaking"
japanese artists? Only saw Daichi Saito works, and infos are rather
difficult to get (except maybe for Image Forum releases, and only when
they are willing to collaborate in spreading knowledge about theirs
works..)

>From a more general point of view, is there a "critic gap" between
experimental film & experimental animated film fields? It's pretty
surprising not to see Virgil Widrich's Fast Film quoted in this list!!!