roman poruno revival (Eurospace, Nikkatsu)

anne mcknight annekmcknight at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 11:34:43 EST 2010

Greetings,

I wonder if anyone in or around Tokyo might have been at the recent
screenings at Eurospace (mid-February), where Nikkatsu's new "line" of
roman poruno films was debuted in mid-February.

The various articles & websites I have seen are going out of their way
to suggest that the first film, Ato kara, mae kara, is not a remake of
the first roman poruno film, but rather a "return." Despite this
brashness, the PR does frame the film as a neo-nostalgia picture by
name-checking that first film, Danchi tzuma--hiru sagari no jiō (1971,
dir. Nishimura Shogorō). (Website here: http://www.roman-returns.com/roman.html
).

I was kind of curious about the reception of this film, if anyone
happened to catch the various talk shows. The venue is "classier" than
typical pink territory, and often features foreign films frequented
mainly my women. But (if I recall correctly...) new pink films of the
more auteurist variety have also played at Eurospace. The director,
Masamoto Shūichirō, seems of a more thoroughly corporate stripe than
the pink directors, with roots in Yoshimoto Kōgyō. Also, the sports
papers seem to think the new line is going for a split male-female
audience (danjō o towazu), a marketing mix it seems to find necessary
to capture the "eros of the 21st century."

I was curious what the whole vibe of the screenings was like, and if
the bourgeois love-hate nostalgia object of the  "danchi" setting has
any resemblance to the split purveyed by a show like Mad Men for a
viewer in the US-- a combination of historical hindsight that promotes
a moral high ground of "how far we are from those retrograde
moralities" (water-cooler inequities, racism, Kennedy assassination
all happening in the background, while the corporate-suburbia commuter
cadre is oblivious) while also supporting a retro love of period
costumes and furniture fetishes.

Anne