KANI-KOUSEN(WAS Re: Japan's stunning "A Normal Life, Please", to be screened at HSDFF in AR.)

Anne McKnight mcknight at usc.edu
Wed Sep 29 14:49:16 EDT 2010

Well, s/he assumed I referred to the film version of Kani kōsen,
directed by Sabu, and released in 2009. The crypto-critique that
followed was, I suspect, directed at the film.
Actually, I meant the original 1929 work of fiction by Kobayashi Takiji.

But his/her mis-interpretation--or my lack of clarity--does bring up
an interesting question, with respect to the film and the lingering/
surging concerns about neo-liberalism in contemporary Japan (and
elsewhere, I would imagine). I find it fascinating that Kobayashi's
work has again become a point of reference. (Norma Field and Heather
Bowen-Struyk have written essays in Japan Focus about the "Kani kōsen
boom," for more background...there are some nice Amamiya Karin taidans
out there, too, connecting to freeter issues)

What was the reception of the film, anyway? I had the impression
(based on after-screening 'talk shows' and press at the time) that
Sabu was not so interested in high fidelity to the original. But that
he cared about hooking up a new audience to labor issues.

Were there conversations that followed out of the film, r did it
pretty much sail off into the sunset?