my new book, "The Last Silent Picture Show"

ReelDrew at aol.com ReelDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 29 05:06:08 EDT 2010

Some members of KineJapan may be interested in my new book, "The Last
Silent Picture Show: Silent Films on American Screens in the 1930s," which has
just been published by Scarecrow Press. I had posted here earlier regarding
it.  In one chapter, I discuss the screenings of Asian silent films
(including  Japanese) in the US in the 1930s. You can learn more about it and where
to order  at: _http://looking-for-mabel.webs.com/lastsilentpictureshow.htm_
(http://looking-for-mabel.webs.com/lastsilentpictureshow.htm)    This was
posted by my friend, Marilyn Slater, at her great Mabel Normand website  and
has links to Amazon and Scarecrow.

Also, are any KineJapan members planning to attend this year's Pordenone
Silent Film Festival (October 2-9)? _http://www.cinetecadelfriuli.org/gcm/_
(http://www.cinetecadelfriuli.org/gcm/)    One of their highlights this year
is their retrospective of the silent films of  Hiroshi Shimizu, Kiyohiko
Ushihara, and Yasujiro Shimazu. This series includes a  number of films of
which I wrote in my article on Shimizu at:
_http://www.midnighteye.com/features/hiroshi_shimizu.shtml_
(http://www.midnighteye.com/features/hiroshi_shimizu.shtml)    and one I did on Ushihara's "Shingun" at:
_http://www.gildasattic.com/shingun.html_ (http://www.gildasattic.com/shingun.html)

William M. Drew