BEAUTIFUL FIGHTING GIRL

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Fri Apr 22 14:10:27 EDT 2011

 From Nausicaä to Sailor Moon, understanding girl heroines of manga
and anime within otaku culture

BEAUTIFUL FIGHTING GIRL
By Saito Tamaki
Translated by J. Keith Vincent and Dawn Lawson
Introduction by J. Keith Vincent
Commentary by Hiroki Azuma
University of Minnesota Press | 248 pages | 2011
ISBN 978-0-8166-5451-2 | paperback | $19.95
ISBN 978-0-8166-5450-5 | hardcover | $60.00

 From Sailor Moon to Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, the worlds
of Japanese anime and manga teem with prepubescent girls toting
deadly weapons. Saitō Tamaki offers a sophisticated and convincing
interpretation of this alluring and capable figure. For, Saitō the
beautiful fighting girl is a complex sexual fantasy that
paradoxically lends reality to the fictional spaces she inhabits.

PRAISE FOR BEAUTIFUL FIGHTING GIRL:
"A foundational book illuminating the phenomenon of cool Japan,
Beautiful Fighting Girl explains the global desire for images of
little girls that kick ass. Saitō’s uncomfortably deep
understanding of the particulars of this Japanese phenomenon allows
us to finally begin to answer questions about the far-reaching
implications of the now nearly universal fetish, of our atomizing
technologies of interactivity, and of our obsessions with new media.
Its place in contemporary letters is nearly unparalleled and I
wouldn’t be surprised if this book gives that once a decade jostle
leading to the n-th wave of feminism or a complete reconfiguration of
our understanding of male desire." —Jonathan E. Abel, Pennsylvania
State University

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Saitō Tamaki is director of medical service at Sofukai Sasaki
Hospital in Funabashi, Japan. A practicing psychiatrist in the
Lacanian tradition, he is the author of numerous books in Japanese on
adolescence and popular culture.

J. Keith Vincent is assistant professor of Japanese and comparative
literature at Boston University.

Dawn Lawson is New York University’s East Asian studies librarian.

Hiroki Azuma is a leading cultural critic in Japan.

For more information, including the table of contents, visit the
book's webpage:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/S/saito_beautiful.html

Sign up to receive news on the latest releases from University of
Minnesota Press:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/mediaalert.html

Please email me if you have any questions.
--
Heather Skinner, Publicist
University of Minnesota Press
skinn077 at umn.edu