documentary about indie-animation

Stefan Nutz nuzumaki at gmx.net
Fri Apr 22 06:44:07 EDT 2011

Hi there,

First of all: Sorry for self-promotion!

I just wanted to spread the word that I am currently working on a
documentary on Japanese indie/arthouse/underground-animation. Production
started last November and will last until I think I have enough to put
together a decent film - or money runs out. Whatever comes first.

Running time, as far as I can say that yet, will be around 60min for the
main-feature. There will be different bundles available for festivals and
TV-stations, as there will be also be a 30min. part I can’t speak about yet.

The film is shot via a pretty new digital way of achieving a cinematic depth
of field. In the end the goal is:

Making look digital video like standard film. Which is actually impossible
but we are getting pretty close now. But don’t expect 4k resolutions for the
big screens. During the last 1 ½ years I shot a lot on these cameras, had a
lot ups and downs, but the outcome is more than expected.

You can see some of the screenshots (not color corrected) on my website
here:

http://indie-animation.com/

Unfortunately my last trip to Tokyo has been canceled due to obvious reasons
but now I can’t wait to go to Nippon Connection later next week to continue
shooting, as there will be a lot of interesting stuff happening:

The Filmmakers' Talk will start at 20:30, Festivalzentrum K2
Special Guests: Mirai Mizue, Nobuaki Doi, Tochka
Moderator: Cathy Munroe Hotes of Nishikata Film Review

An Animated Film Workshop with TOCHKA will also take place
Saturday, April 30, 17:00 in the Festivalzentrum KOZ

Thanks and hope to see some of you in Frankfurt,

Stefan