KINEJAPAN digest 3146

mjraine at uchicago.edu mjraine at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 15 00:35:27 EDT 2011

Hello Roger,

Sorry to get to this late. The allcinema site seems to be pretty good about listing release dates for foreign films. You can search by English title. Some prewar but mostly postwar.

http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_c.php?num_c=8370

They show the following dates:
The Steel Bayonet, 1957; 1957.09
The Enchanted Island, 1958; not listed
Yesterday's Enemy, 1959; 1959.07
The Stranglers of Bombay, 1959; 1961.10
The Mummy, 1959; 1959.08

So I think you're right about the "global simulteneity" of cheesy cinema! It would be interesting to find out more about how these films were designated and shown. One question: I have a nice graph of the number of "seijin eiga" from 1958 through the 1960s, with an obvious inflection point when pink films started. But does anyone have a *list* of what films were designated as "seijin eiga" before 1963? I don't remember seeing one in any of the material on Eirin.

Michael