こんにちは!

Swanson, Anna swansona at carleton.edu
Mon Apr 4 07:47:52 EDT 2011

Hi everyone!  I have been following KineJapan for a little while, and I figured it was time to finally introduce myself!

Name: Anna Swanson

Institutional affiliation or job: student!  Cinema and Media Studies major (and equivalent Japanese minor) at Carleton College; I also studied abroad at Kansai Gaidai in Hirakatashi, Osaka, last fall.

City and country: from Olympia, Washington, U.S.A. but studying in Northfield, Minnesota, U.S.A. (although currently gallivanting in Europe!)

Research projects or publications: lots of papers (nothing officially published YET) on Japanese film for classes at Carleton/Kansai Gaidai - topics have included dreams+anime, genre-mashing+Takashi Miike, gender-roles in Hana-bi, soto/uchi+the role of gender in industry with respect to the work of Kawase Naomi, among others.
my blog on visual anthropology of Japan: http://annanokamikakushi.blogspot.com
my current blog on visual culture, which will undoubtedly contain posts and musings on Japanese media: http://thesemioptician.wordpress.com

Interests with regard to Japanese film and moving image media: shojo horror films+the body, anything related to Japan+gender/sexuality in media/film, Miyazaki Hayao and animated heroines, Japanese film festival practices and structuring, history of the Japanese film industry, reception of Japanese vs Western film in Japan...interests ever-expanding.