Influence of Japanese War-era films on Malayan Post-war Cinema

naguib_razak naguib_razak at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 10:50:02 EST 2011

Yes Michael,

You've nailed it on the spot -- P Ramlee, the well-celebrated and
much-revered Malaysian film actor, director, singer, songwriter, composer,
and producer, together with a bunch of his peers in Malaya, were very much
inspired by some of the war-time experiences they had during the Japanese
Occupation, and especially with the Japanese war-era films that they could watch
for the first time due to the occupation.

Whilst not wanting to negate the negative experiences other segments of society
in Malaya or the rest of Southeast Asia experienced, for him and many of his ilk
both in Malaya and Indonesia, it was a liberating experience and brought with it
a total paradigm shift in thinking and ideas. They probably knew they were
watching Japanese propaganda, but it was still fascinating and eye-opening to
them.

And he and his group was never tainted as 'enemy collaborators', for the enemy
was never so black and white in those days.

This is the theme my colleague would like to revisit.

I am surprised that you knew so much about P Ramlee!

Any further tips or advice from others would be most welcomed.

 Naguib Razak