Eigei Best Ten 2010

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Tue Jan 25 09:50:10 EST 2011

The results of the Eiga geijutsu poll of the best (and worst) films of
2010 was just announced:

http://eigageijutsu.com/article/181634398.html

Here they are in English:

1. Heaven's Story (Zeze Takahisa)
2. Doman Seman (Shibata Go)
3. Kore de ii no kashira (Okishima Isao)
4. Partners (Shimomura Masaru)
5. Yellow Kid (Mariko Tetsuya)
6. Sawako Decides (Ishii Yuya)
6. Sankaku (Yoshida Keisuke)
8. 13 Assassins (Miike Takashi)
9. Sketches of Kaitan City (Kumakiri Kazuyoshi)
9. Time Traveller (Masaaki Taniguchi)
9. Boys on the Run (Miura Daisuke)

You can also see this on my blog: http://www.aarongerow.com/news/eiga-geijutsu-best-10-for-2.html

The results are rather typical for Eigei: eccentric, independent, very
favorable to films made by friends of the magazine, brutal on people
they don't like. Confessions, which was number 2 in the KineJun poll--
and which just failed to get the Oscar nomination nod--was number 1 on
the Eigei worst poll (they hate Nakashima there, which I think is
unfair). I used to vote for the Eigei poll, but they have the tendency
to cull out selectors who are picking the wrong films.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363