"Potemkin" in Japan - Kurosawa citation locus

mccaskem at georgetown.edu mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Fri Jan 14 16:31:09 EST 2011

"Potemkin" is listed as a movie seen ca. 1926 by Kurosawa, on p.73 of
"Something Like An Autobiography," along with Pudovkin's "Mother" the same
year, and Pudovkin's "Storm Over Asia" ca. 1928 (p. 74). Kurosawa says that
there may be a time lag of a couple of years past the year he gives, before they
were shown in Japan (p. 74).

In the English translation, the list looks like a long footnote, but it's actually a 4-
page table, a full  of the regular text, in the Japanese original, Gama no abura,
138-141. The parenthetical synchronous event comments - e.g. "Hara
Assassinated," "Japanese Communist Party Established," "Peace Preservation
Law," "First Radio Broadcast," etc., were all put in by Kurosawa in the original, by
the way. I had somehow once thought that Audie Bock might have put them in
the Eng. version for comparison, but they were already there in the Japanese
version.

It's hard to understand why Kuroswa would say he saw it back then if he didn't.
It seems to me that seeing the Odessa Steps scene for the first time is not an
experience he (or at least I) would likely be absent-minded or abstract about.

Regards,

Michael McC