Fwd: The career of Chico Roland

Robyn Citizen rc1434 at nyu.edu
Wed May 25 23:03:14 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I posted to KineJapan several months ago for film suggestions regarding my
dissertation on black Others in Japanese cinema. In the course of my
research I came across the singular film and TV career of Chico Roland, a
black American actor under contract in Japan from 1952-1989. I managed to
track down members of Roland's family - he is still alive, but not well -
and finally contact them on the eve of some of his films by Kurahara being
finally released on Eclipse Series DVDs.

His son has been trying to compile a comprehensive filmography of Roland's
work - apparently only 1/3 of his films and TV work are listed on IMDB - and
collect his films and memorabilia, many of which are at the Yokohama Film
Library but others are proving difficult to locate.

I was asked if there was anyone in the scholarly community that might be
able to assist the family in tracking down titles, archives, press releases,
DVD copies etc.  This request goes out to those of you who literally wrote
the book on Japanese film research as well as anyone who has contacts with
film communities in Japan. His son lives in Japan and is fluent in Japanese
so Japanese-language only sources are acceptable.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

--
Robyn Citizen
PhD Candidate
alternate e-mail: ladykaede1221 at gmail.com

\22Heart and Mind at the bottom of the sea\22 - H. Murakami

--
Robyn Citizen
PhD Candidate
alternate e-mail: ladykaede1221 at gmail.com

\22Heart and Mind at the bottom of the sea\22 - H. Murakami