NFC and color film stocks in Japan

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Thu May 19 07:29:31 EDT 2011

Dear Kinejapanners, I have a quick question, but I'm currently looking at the use of various film stocks in Japan.

It seems that during the 1950s,Eastmancolor was pretty much the standard adopted by all of the major studios whose widescreen
processes were adapted from CinemaScope, (a notable exception was
Ozu, who insisted on using Agfacolor film stock, although he never made widescreen films, and experiments with domestic stocks like Fujicolor and Konicolor).I was wondering about Daiei, whose DaieiScope system was based on VistaVision - Paramount had a close relationship with Technicolor in Hollywood, as they were the only labs capable of optically printing the horizontal negative on standard 35mm film, which is why VistaVision films such as The Ten Commandments were filmed in Technicolor, as was Daiei's Super Technirama production of Buddha.However, I can't imagine there were any labs in Japan capable of printing Technicolor film stock, so the film would have needed to be sent overseas for printing  (Buddha's footage was processed in London).
The main question I have is, I currently don't have my catalogue of the NFC's holdings at hand, but does this provide information about the various stocks used for each production? Just wondered if it was worth me taking a trip across the country to dig it out of my brother's attic!
best
Jasper

Jasper Sharp: Writer & Film Curator Homepage
http://jaspersharp.com/

Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
http://www.midnighteye.com

Zipangu Fest: Japanarchy in the UK
http://zipangufest.com/