The return of the Kansai Modern Japan Group

Dick Stegewerns dick.stegewerns at xs4all.nl
Mon May 16 21:28:14 EDT 2011

 Dear all,

 It is my great pleasure to inform you about the rebirth of the Kansai
 Modern Japan Group. The KMJG is a platform for scholars on modern and/or
 contemporary Japan, residing in or visiting the Kansai area. It convenes
 on a monthly basis, alternately in Kyoto or Osaka, for a lecture,
 comments by a discussant, followed by an open discussion (and usually a
 konshinkai at a local izakaya). In October we organise a special
 meeting, consisting of several lectures on a specific theme. The 'rules'
 are simple. The lecture is in English, the comments and discussion
 either in English or Japanese, all interested are welcome. Film-related
 presentations are most welcome.

 For our first meeting we will just continue 'as usual'. David Hopkins
 of Tenri University (and the man behind Public Bath Records, the label
 that brought us the best of the Osaka underground during the 1980s) will
 take up the story on Japanese popular music where he stopped several
 years ago, namely in the 1930s. In his lecture on wartime popular music
 he will discuss the content and trends in the hit records of this era,
 both the miltary songs and the 'civil' songs, with a focus on the images
 of women (see abstract below). Of course, David will treat us to various
 vivid examples from his impressive 78rpm record collection.

 In order to provide a little more atmosphere to this lively lecture, we
 will not gather at one of our 'satellite classrooms' but at our
 shinnenkai venue in Kyoto. For this special event Sakebar Yoramu will
 turn into something that might slightly resemble one of those postwar
 gunkoku sakaba, although we will keep out the related ideology and
 melancholy. This has the extra advantage that after the lecture we will
 not have to relocate but can stay where we are to enjoy the best of
 Japan's sake (strictly junmaishu) and an intriguing combination of Kyoto
 and Middle Eastern cuisine. And, if circumstances allow, there will also
 be a screening of the 1958 Daiei B-movie 'Gunkoku Sakaba' to give you an
 impression of what real gunkoku sakaba used to be like.

 Here are the data:

 SPEAKER: David Hopkins (Tenri University)
 TITLE: Kessen musume: Images of Women in Japan's War-era Record
 Industry
 DATE: Wednesday 25 May
 TIME: 18:30
 PLACE:  Sakebar Yoramu, Kyoto - ground floor, on the south side of
 Nijo-dori, inbetween Higashi no Toin-dori and Ainomachi-dori. It is a 5
 minute walk from exit no.1 of the Karasuma Oike subway station. For
 directions see: http://www.sakebar-yoramu.com/access_eng.html

 Those who are planning to attend, please send a notice to
 dick.stegewerns at xs4all.nl by Monday 23 May. Those willing to present at
 one of our monthly meetings, please send an abstract of the presentation
 you propose to do to this same address.

 I look forward to welcoming many familiar and new faces.

 Best regards,

 Dick Stegewerns
 Kyoto University & Oslo University

 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

 ABSTRACT:

 Kessen Musume: Images of Women in Japan?s War-era Record Industry

 Recent scholarship has greatly expanded our understanding of the
 history of the music of Japan?s 15-year war era, but this scholarship
 hasn?t yet applied much lit crit or social psychological methodology to
 more deeply understand the records in their social context.
 With young men gone to the armed forces, the audience for record
 companies to target was overwhelmingly female. Record companies used
 several strategies to overcome resistance to consumption of
 non-essentials, making one type of frivolous consumption not a luxury,
 but an expression of patriotism. The various traditional roles of
 women?mother, wife, daughter?all figured prominently in music targeted
 at the homeland audience. In addition, new roles, such as worker ?behind
 the gun? and even combatant, became more and more common as the war
 progressed.
 There is a clear break in content with the expansion of the war to the
 Pacific in late 1941. One strong feature of late 1930s music is the
 feminization of Asian conquests, with all of the sexual possibilities
 that implies. Ri Ko Ran is only the strongest of many examples. This
 type of content has little place in the wider arena of the Pacific War,
 when censorship had become stricter. Similarly, Miss Wakana was a major
 figure in manzai in the late 1930s?often calling attention to women?s
 issues in a more or less resistant way, only to disappear from record in
 the 1940s.
 In my presentation I will use actual records played on a period
 phonograph

 David Hopkins is an associate professor at Tenri University in Nara.
 His recent publications have been about Japanese movies from the 1960s
 and 1970s, and about public and school libraries? relationship with
 manga culture. He has a collection of more than 2000 pre-war records.