earliest translation of Pudovkin in Japan?

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Sun May 15 20:54:22 EDT 2011

According to the Tsuji Kyohei bibliography, the German edition of Pudovkin's Filmregie und Filmmanuskript was published in Japanese translation in 1930. A translation of the English edition of Film Technique (using the 1933 new edition) was published in 1936. Pudovkin was one of the most cited Soviet theorists/filmmakers in the prewar.

Of course translations of Soviet montage theory appeared in magazines from the late 1920s, including I believe excerpts of Pudovkin. Yamamoto Kikuo's book lists some of them, but my copy is at the office right now.

Aaron

On May 15, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Weihong Bao wrote:

> Dear list members,
> I am trying to find out information whether Pudovkin's Film Technique was translated into Japanese and if so, when?
>
> Thank you very much for your response.
>
> best wishes,
> Weihong Bao
> Columbia University

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html