Runtime for Mizoguchi's Sisters of the Gion

faith faithbach at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Oct 4 23:13:55 EDT 2011

Stefania

there is a reference in my Mizoguchi filmography about the timing discrepancy.  censors apparently cut 108 meters from the original 92-minute version; 69 minutes are all that remain.  censorship was very strict in the 30s and this kind of butchering was not unusual.  other Mizoguchi work suffered the same fate.  whether the original version was ever screened or not, wiser heads will have to tell you, as this is all the info i have here at the moment.  it seems to be common, however, for Japanese sources frequently to refer to the original, pre-censorship length that the director intended.

cheers
FBach