Runtime for Mizoguchi's Sisters of the Gion

Stefania Burk stefania.burk at ubc.ca
Tue Oct 4 16:28:58 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I am way out of my specialization (pre-modern J. poetry) here, but I have a quick question. I'm teaching Mizoguchi's Sisters of the Gion and have noticed a discrepancy in the runtimes listed online; the Criterion DVD version has a runtime of 69 minutes, but on other sites it states the running time in Japan was 95 minutes. Was the original really so much longer? Or is something else going on?

Best,

Stefania

Stefania Burk, PhD
Associate Graduate Advisor
and
Instructor, Japanese Language and Literature
Department of Asian Studies
University of British Columbia

PLEASE NOTE that I have a new email address, please update your address: sburk at mail.ubc.ca