Enshutsu / Kosei

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 10:38:13 EST 2012

In Hideo Nakata's Joyu-rei/Ghost Actress, kantoku is frequently used as a mark of rank or a honorific; Yurei Yanagi's first-time director is referred to as kantoku-san now that he has begun working on his first project. Honorific titles are mostly used in the second and third person, and using it in the first person might well sound awkward and/or rather pretentious.

Jim.