Enshutsu / Kosei

Jonathan M. Hall jmhall at pomona.edu
Tue Feb 14 08:44:30 EST 2012

Yes, I agree "production design" does not equal kosei.

(an aside:
As the FIAF glossary reminds us:
Production Designer, Production Design. The person who conceives, plans, and
supervises the overall physical look of a movie, and as such is responsible for almost
everything that is placed before the camera (apart from the actors). Works closely with
the Director and the Director of Photography from the earliest stages of the production.
In smaller units, this role can be assumed by the Art Director. )

But, what I was getting for was a term to express the external implementation of a visual structure upon the subject(s) of the camera at the point of pre-production and production.

I love French; my favorite author is Genet whom I enjoy in the original.

jmh