Japanese musicals in the 30s and 40s

faith faithbach at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Feb 6 00:34:22 EST 2012

Tokyo Rhapsody (Toho 1936) survives on video, with a themesong hugely popular in its day; starring Fujiyama Ichiro, Tsubaki Sumie, Date Satoko with singing cameos by various stars and directed by Fushimizu Shu.
FB

--- On Sun, 2012/2/5, Roger Macy <macyroger at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

We haven't yet mentioned the catalogue 'Asia Sings' from Udine Far East Film in 2006. Most of the films are from the fifties, but it does include Oshidori utagassen.  Each entry is in Italian and English and includes the survey by Mark Schilling, 'Japanese Musical - The Genre That Almost Wasn't'' pp103-133, his interview with Inoue Umetsugu [active from the 50s], and 'Snapshot: Misora Hibari by Ishi Kimiko', pp152-5. Mark Schilling's survey rapidly steps from one film to another, but does give you a feel for the star-centered arena in which these films thrived.

The Japanese films in the catalogue are
The Eagle and the Hawk, 1957, Washi to taka, 鷲と鷹, INOUE Umetsugu
The Guy Who Started a Storm, 1957, Arashi o yobu otoko, 嵐を呼ぶ男, INOUE Umetsugu
The Performers, 1970, Misora Hibari, Mori Shin'ichi no Hana to namida to honoo, 実空ひばり。森進一の 花と涙と炎, INOUE Umetsugu
Singing Lovebirds, 1939, Oshidori utagassen, 鴛鴦歌合戦, MAKINO Masahiro
Tokyo Cinderella Girl, 1954, [Jazu onparēdo 1954-nen] Tōkyō Shindorera musume, [ジャズ。オンパレード1954年] 東京シンドレラ娘, INOUE Umetsugu
 Tokyo Kid, 1950, Tōkyō kiddo, 東京キッド, SAITŌ Torajirō
The Winner, 1957, Shōrisha, 勝利者, INOUE Umetsugu

The book is edited by Roger Garcia. I've changed a couple of typos but you may spot more.
The book is available here
http://www.deastore.com/search/products/usr/keywords/Asia%20sings
Mark Shilling describes Oshidori utagassen as "the most frequently revived Japanese pre-war musical".  Do any others survive ?
Roger----- Original Message -----