Pink 50th Birthday and Re: Top 32 Nikkatsu Roman Porno

M Arnold maiku at umich.edu
Mon Mar 19 15:26:47 EDT 2012

Jasper, thanks for the details. Sounds like a memorable screening.

Has Shintoho stopped producing entirely? Last I heard, they were trying
to concentrate on these video-shot 'taisaku' productions. They're still
sending their old prints out to theaters but they haven't released
anything new since October. It is starting to look like Okura will be
the last pink studio standing in Japan.

 > Okura is now the main player, and the US company Pink Eiga
> have now moved to distributing this companies work overseas.

I believe Pink Eiga has mostly released Shintoho titles so far, but
there are a few OP films in the catalog. It's nice to see some fairly
run-of-the-mill pink titles get distribution on DVD in the U.S., but the
company is definitely not aiming for the cinephile demographic with
tweets and ads like this:

"I want to have a hot Japanese chick as a slave, naming her HUMAN
LIVESTOCK! I am such a horny, dirty man! http://dai.ly/vRPuLX"

or this:
"What we want to do on Thanksgiving day is eating Turkey, watching Pink
Eiga (and hopefully, fucking Japanese Chck!) http://bit.ly/vFNvFD"

Unfortunately the subtitle translation suffers from a similar focus on
kink and Japanese female T&A above all else. In the discs I've seen, the
subs exaggerate the "dirty" talk while streamlining the story, and the
result isn't particularly accurate. The company also censored a
male-male scene out of one of their videos because, apparently, the
American audience doesn't tolerate that sort of thing.

I spoke to an active Pink director in Tokyo last summer who was also
frustrated at the way Pink Eiga was mistranslating or misrepresenting
the films.

I'm looking forward to the Synapse Roman Porno discs.

Michael Arnold