[KineJapan] 2015 Boxoffice

Stephen Cremin stephen at asianfilm.info
Wed Feb 17 20:03:20 EST 2016

In Asia, there are several countries where changes in exhibition patterns have changed the kinds of films being made.
In China, admissions have grown five-fold since 2010 from 250 million a year to 1.25 billion a year in 2015. This is in line with an almost five-fold increase in the number of cinema screens nationwide. Most of the growth is in smaller cities, which has bred a wave of less-sophisticated comedies (and an anti-vulgarity campaign by Xi Jinping).
We saw this in Thailand a decade ago when some of the highest-grossing films were low-brow comedies aimed at audiences outside Bangkok, often financed and produced by Phranakorn Film. Sahamongkol (and briefly GTH) also released films for this market. This go-low approach has probably contributed to the current mistrust in local cinema.
In Indonesia, the dominance of the Cinema 21 chain - which directly or through its subsidiaries - had locked down deals with all the American studios, meant that exhibitor Blitzmegaplex had to branch out and try new things. It's focus on Korean cinema, which Cinema 21 had largely overlooked, gave it a foothold. (It now has a Korean owner.)
In Taiwan, local films could hardly get exhibition outside Taipei in the early 2000s. Or even much distribution in Taipei. When Warner pulled out, to focus on countries with faster-growing exhibition sectors, local films managed to get broader distribution, helped by the national roll-out of multiplexes. And Taiwan has its low-brow phase too.
The Vietnam cinema market is growing at the same or at even a faster pace than the China market. As in China, it's a young audience, and local films are breaking box office records every year. The majority of cinemas in Vietnam are now owned by Korean conglomerates CJ and Lotte; the former is also producing local-language films of increasing quality.
In the Philippines, about 15 years ago the most powerful exhibitor became a born-again Christian and blocked 18-rated films from his cinemas, which overnight decimated the local film industry, which was dominated by "bold" films. Film festivals have stepped in as an alternative distribution platform, majority-financing the local films that they screen.
In his article, Jasper wonders about the state of home video and VOD in Japan.
Compared to the rest of Asia, the home video market is relatively strong in Japan, even if it's not growing. There's no home video market in South Korea and China, East Asia's other two main film markets. Streaming is big in both, although it's become very regulated in China in the past year which has decimated the availability of non-US foreign content.
It costs about US$3 a month in China to subscribe to Netflix-like services that have 1080p HD films about two months after their cinema release. iTunes China sells 1080p HD versions of local Chinese films for less than the price of the pirated DVD9, and usually less than that of a DVD5. There's no fear that such low prices will damage the theatrical box office.
As a price comparison, the number one film on iTunes China right now is SPECTRE, which costs RMB18 (US$2.75) to buy in 1080p HD, compared to US$19.99 on iTunes US. On iTunes Japan, it's ¥2500 (US$21.90) on pre-order ahead of its 22 March release. The Japan version has burnt-in Japanese subtitles. In China, the subtitles can be turned off.
(Cinema ticket prices in China are comparable to Japan. Three local films have made more than US$150 million in the past ten days; one of the three - Stephen Chow's MERMAID - has made US$345 million. Box office grew 48.6% last year to US$6.75 billion, with local films taking a 61.6% market share. 686 local films were produced, but just a fraction released.)
I suspect that Japanese copyright owners are so concerned about damaging DVD income that they are not letting VOD take off. Japanese consumers are still waiting longer for an inferior product at a higher price. The number film in iTunes Japan now is THE INTERN which sells in dubbed and subtitled versions as separate ¥2500 purchases. Greedy double dipping.
In Japan, nobody is really shaking the boat. I asked Tom Yoda at a group interview during the Tokyo IFF why Gaga doesn't try to lower cinema ticket prices, and he said he wants to but it's impossible to get the cooperation of the exhibitors. When tickets cost ¥1800, of course one goes to seen known properties: sequels, manga/novel/TV adaptations.
In a seminar during the Shanghai IFF about three years ago, Bona's Yu Dong said that Chinese producers must let exhibitors have the power for a few more years so that they continue expanding the number of cinemas in China. And the government is keeping them in check, fining and suspending licenses for suspicious box office reporting, and holding back US films.
Nobody is keeping the Japanese exhibitors in check. It's remarkable to me that box office information is much more transparent in China than anywhere else in Asia, including South Korea. I do have sympathy and respect for Kogyo Tsugin-sha, but the government should come in and license their data for the whole film industry.
And Jasper is right that we need to have information on VOD sales/rentals/streams to best understand the market, but even in the US that data is not published by Netflix, etc. In China and Korea where 90% of a film's income is made in theatrical, it's not so much of an issue. But in Japan and the US it more often determines the viability of a film.

Stephen