[KineJapan] Hasumi X Barthes

Mathieu Capel mathieucapel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 05:00:05 EST 2016

Actually, this interview is not very well known in France as well (if not
totally overlooked), hidden in Barthes' Complete Works edition. This is
unfortunate, I'd say, because it sheds an interesting light on Barthes'
premise as "western civilization sickness" (what he seems to share with
Noel Burch). See page 308 here, "I understood right away that the Japanese
wouldn't recognize themselves in it', etc. : such a sentence is actually
crucial, among others here... And can explain the misunderstanding between
French critics and Japanese filmmakers around that time, for Barthes was
such a huge influence for, say, Cahiers du Cinéma back then.

Mathieu Capel
Paris